Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Culinary Aspirations






One of my new goals is to cook dinner once a week. I know it doesn't sound very ambitious, but we get to eat at our parents on Sundays, I work 2 or 3 nights a week, Kurt cooks or we eat frozen pizza. Anyway-I was having a craving so I decided today was my day to cook (even though Kurt isn't crazy about tuna casserole, he's a good sport and it's one of my favorites). So Felicity and I put on some music and started to cook.We had some trouble along the way.

My "tuna drainer" got stuck in the can and it literally took me 10 minutes to get it out.

When I turned on the burner to cook the pasta, there was some chunk of food underneath and it was smoking and started on fire. It's kind of hard to deal with cooking catastrophes when you have a 12 lb baby strapped to you.

After we got things figured out and changed burners we were doing fine. Things were looking yummy-Alfredo sauce and herbs and breadcrumbs on top. We stuck it under the broiler and then...accidentally got distracted putting some laundry in.

I haven't had one of those TV cooking experiences where black smoke pours out of the oven. Until today.

I scooped off the burnt top and I think it's still delicious, but Kurt has yet to try it. No matter his verdict, this is our home cooked meal for the week seeing that I work the next three nights in a row. Sorry honey.




14 comments:

Elizabeth Moon said...

Great story! Better luck next time. :)

Poe said...

wow! that's nuts. Last night my dinner went something like this...One kid is screaming in his swing while the other is digging in the trash and I can't do anything about it because I'm up to my wrists in a meat concoction trying to make meatballs. hmmmm...not worth it I say. Frozen pizza sounds better than all that.

Courtney said...

I hear ya. This is an all too familiar experience for me, too. The worst part is that I never even get to enjoy whatever it is that I attempted to make. Hank has the attention span of a fruit fly so we get about halfway through our dinnertime prayer when he's ready to get out of the highchair and cause ruckus. Aaron and I have invented a new Olympic sport: speed eating!

Kurt Radmall said...

Well, no complaints here. I thought the food was delicious! I always enjoy the meals that Kelli makes. Thanks, sweety.

Annie Link said...

Hey Kelli- Thanks for dropping by to visit the SkinnyLink! Your casserole sounds yummy--and my husband would have LOVED the burned part. He says it reminds him of camping. Whenever we burn something, everyone always says, "Dad'll love this! Save it for Dad!" I may even burn something for dinner tonight! xo, Annie
p.s. Felicity is such a beautiful name--and she's SUCH a beautiful baby!

Laurel said...

Hysterical! Hey, smoke coming from the oven is about as "home-cooked" as you can get. I, too, love tuna casserole more than my husband, so I'm glad YOU at least got to enjoy your dinner.

ashley said...

that is so funny! i know why you only cook once a week! joking!!!!!

Krista Hansen said...

You still love tuna caserole?! Gross-o! Good goal, and just think, it can only get better from here!

Jill said...

I love the tuna strainer!

Marissa Joy said...

I need to get me one of those tuna strainer thingies! I still love tuna caserole and Mike isn't the number one fan. What is wrong with these boys? Maybe that is what I will make for dinner next. I love all your pictures. I miss you!

betsy said...

Great try Kelli! I'm sure it tasted great. I personally am a fan of burnt foods. Did your hair get even shorter? You have one cute cooking sidekick by the way.

Frampton Family said...

Don't worry, we've all been there. I have started a couple fires in my days. At least just the top was burnt. It looks really good to me.

Kim said...

What a fun cooking adventure/disaster. Nice of you to share a real life adventure. Hey, where are you working? I better go back and check through your blog to see if you have already talked about it. Love ya!

Tammi said...

Kell! I got your blog address from Jen. Baby Felicity is soooo darling! Can't wait to meet her in person! Good job saving the casserole by peeling off the charred layer. MY personal best was making a homemade pizza EXPLODE! Never seen crust so big in my life....Remember--crust is NOT supposed to have time to RISE!!! We couldn't even EAT that dinner. I think you ARE ambitious--new baby, job, husband--good for you for not giving up on the cooking all together! See ya at the wedding(s)?