Friday, May 1, 2009

Doggies and Nap Time


So, Kurt and I have rented a few movies lately, one of which being Marley and Me. I actually liked it. It was a little slow, but there were some things I really liked.
#1-It was wholesome and clean as far as I remember.

#2-I liked seeing Jennifer Aniston in a "mommy" role. I don't really know what's going on with her in real life, but I think she's having a baby, am I right? I thought her acting was pretty good. Can't help liking her.

#3-Owen Wilson is kind of a cutie. Anything with him in it reminds me of my brother Brett who likes him a lot and has imitated him on more than one occasion.

#5-I liked that it painted a somewhat realistic picture of marriage and family-it's not easy-but it's worth it. I thought the movie was kind of ambivalent about where it wanted to go with that-if you watched it as a single adult, it could probably make you not want to get married, have children or a get a dog. But, since I'm a cheerleader for marriage and children-I took the message to be that people (and animals) aren't perfect, life is hard, but it's worth forging those relationships. There were some cheesy parts of course, but it wasn't all syrupy sweet.
Other thoughts:

*We never had a dog growing up and I have never had much of a desire to own one, so I don't really "get" the dog thing which is the whole basis of the movie. It was somewhat touching in that aspect-but I'm sure it would be more moving to anyone who has loved a four legged friend.

* I liked when Owen Wilson said something to the effect of, "I had a fight with my wife-you mend it, you don't end it." Loved that message.

* I thought the argument between the parents was very realistic and easy to identify with. New baby-stressed out parents-mom is a little cuckoo-dad's not sure if he wants to come in the house. Dog is making everything 10x harder. He accuses her of being depressed, she says she isn't depressed, just overwhelmed. She calls him a jerk. I'm sorry-but how many new moms and dad's haven't been there. Am I right?

*Which brings me to my last point. For those of you who have seen it-do you remember when Marley gets excited about the garbage truck or something and wakes up the kids who have just been napping? OOoh-that part makes me mad! Honestly makes me not want to have a dog. I never thought I would be so dang uptight about napping or sleep schedules, but I am. Once you have a kid-sleep is like air, like water, like heat-it is so so essential for everyone in the home to get some, but so hard to grasp onto. You need enough. At the right time. Or life can be horrible, right? I guess I'm going off because today is one of those bad napping days.

-So, Felicity is finally taking a nap and the little dog that lives below us started barking. And he wouldn't stop! Anger- like fire began rising in my chest! I've never been mad at that dog before, which is funny, because Kurt is always mad when he barks, even if it's only for a second. But, when you've had a bad napping day and baby girl finally stops making noises in her crib and you aren't even going to run the dryer or make a phone call or use the microwave because she might wake up, and a little doggy starts barking-momma wants to rip his head off. So that is what urged me to write this post. It reminded me of the movie. Good news-Felicity didn't wake up and the doggie's daddy pulled him inside and made him stop barking at our older neighbor who is sweet, but takes a looong time to walk to her car.

7 comments:

Elizabeth Moon said...

I agree! On all of it!

Justin M. Bowen said...

I agree too...a little slow with all my kids bugging me but I guess the upside is that I didn't get lost if I missed a minute here and there!

I can't believe how big your little girl is getting!

Hope everything is going great for you.

Take care.

Gary and Sara said...

excellent post! loved it!

Poe said...

I liked the movie for those reasons too. They didn't make marriage look like the unhappy institution every other movie does. Also, if a dog EVER woke my baby up from a nap it would be the last day that dog was alive in my house. Naps are sacred!!! That part of the movie was killing me.

Laurel said...

K, I did not realize that your thoughts on dogs were EXACTLY the same as mine! (I knew I always liked you...) As for napping -- amen.

Marissa Joy said...

Hi Kelli, I realize I have been a terrible comment poster so I have to let you know that I visit your blog frequently and I love your posts. Felicity is looking so big, I can't believe it. She is so beautiful I hope I can see her in person soon! I now have to rent that movie and I want to go find some ducks to feed. By the way, in my mind, it is so totally normal to feed ducks old bread. Besides they are the ones eating it by choice, no one made them and it isn't going to hurt them.
love you...bread crumbs mi amigo, hasta.

Denae said...

Well now I'm going to have to see it. And I want to rip my dogs head off when she barks & the kids are sleeping too.