Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Kid Stuff...


Yesterday I was showing Kurt a new game that I played with Felicity. I used both of my hands to squish her face forward, giving her fish lips and began to tell the tale, "My daddy got a motorcycle..." OK-stop right there. Do you guys know where this is going? I thought everyone knew this little game. So, "My daddy got a motorcycle and he took me for a ride. At first we were going so slow I said, "Go Faster Daddy, Go Faster!" Then we started to go so fast I said, "Slow Down Daddy, Slow Down!" At this point of course you use your hands to stretch the little cheekers backwards giving an airblown squinty eyed face. It's pretty funny if I do say so myself.
So then Kurt says, "What's that from?" What's that from?! It's from being a kid. It's just something that kids do. It's funny. I was astounded that he didn't know about this little face contorting gem.
So then, I turned to the obvious(and not very culturally pc. Sorry.)I said, ok. "Open the fridge. Take out a coke. Take the lid off. Drink the coke. HaHa! Me Chinese, Me play joke. Me put pee pee in your coke." To which Kurt did not reply anything. He didn't know about this one either! He didn't know that you're supposed to say, "Me American, me so smart, me not drink the pee pee part."
What did Kurt do as child? I guess I need to check with him and see if he knows "Big Mac, Fillet of Fish, Quarter Pounder, French Fries, Icy Cola, Thick Shake, Sundaes and Apple Pie." Ya know, with the hand shake?
I wonder if he knows any jump rope rhymes like Cinderella and Not Last Night But the Night Before... Or maybe he has never played Chinese Jump rope, 2, 4, 6,8 on off, twisties, twisties, diamonds, diamonds..." What about, "No Cuts, No Buts, No coconuts!" when someone is cutting in the drinking fountain line? What about playing Mash?!

Don't you love that kid stuff? Poor Kurt. I will have to make sure he knows some fun stuff so he can squish faces and laugh like I do.
Tell me some more fun kid stuff-tricks you played-rhymes, handshakes! Although teaching was hard, I did love hanging out and seeing kids having fun. I miss that. I must say I feel that I had an awesome childhood. Ideal. I hope my kids have as much fun as I did in my "growing up years"! Kurt would say that I'm not grown up yet because I still think those things are funny...

11 comments:

Torrie and Cassidy said...

Ok, so I have to admit that I didn't recognize everything that you mentioned, but I do at least know "My daddy got a motorcycle..."! I also remember doing the hand games like "Miss Mary Mack" and countless others that I have allowed myself to forget. That happens between Cassidy and I all the time, where one person assumes its common, and the other person has never heard of it before...

Karl and Cheryl said...

Okay, so we made Kurt live a sheltered life as a child. At least he knows "Monkeys on the Bed!"

Marissa Joy said...

Kurt, I don't even know what to say. I am shocked and my heart aches for you and your missing childhood. It is never too late!

Kurt Radmall said...

I'm not sure if some of these things are exactly politically correct. Just tell the kids not to say them at school anymore, right? Oh, and - Behind the refrigerator, there was a piece of glass...

Jana Neser said...

Good one Kurt! What about beans beans the musical fruit? I loved reading all these--thanks kel! You are hilarious.

Poe said...

What about "Hi my name is chubby. my mom's name is chubby my dad's name is chubby even the dog's name is chubby." It's funny cause Ty and I have had this same conversation. We laugh at how a california girl and a South Dakotan boy grew up saying the same dumb poems and singing the same dumb songs. How does that happen? More importantly, how did all of this pass your husband up?

Krista Hansen said...

I know ALL of those games. I can't believe that Kurt didn't know those. Wow! It's a good thing you didn't find out when you were dating. Maybe there would be no Felicity!

Laurel said...

Ummm... Who doesn't think those things are funny???

shelly said...

BWAHAHAHAA! This post made me laugh so hard! I know these and I'm a grandma -- I knew them when I was little! I guess you know, these were all passed down to you by your mothers...hence, the political incorrectness. We didn't know there was such a thing. (Pros and cons to that). Anyway, I remember totally belly-laughing at the one where I would pull my cheeks back tight (like in the motorcycle one) and say, "Mommy, Mommy! My pigtails are too tight!" It doesn't sound that funny when I write it, but I'm laughing right now to myself! And then the one that's really not pc, where your fingers would pull your eyes in all shapes and you'd say, "Chinese, Japanese, Americanese" and everybody would laugh. Bad...really bad -- but part of my childhood too! Do you know the the jumprope one of the 24 robbers knocking at the door? I'll stop now:)

Julia Davis said...

Oh my heart. LOL. I feel so special that I was right there with you during so many of these childhood moments, my friend. I was actually thinking of Chinese Jumprope the other day, wondering why I never saw my students doing it!! It is CLASSIC and hard to beat! Hmmm... so many good ones have been mentioned- I am embarrassed I can't think of more at the moment, but I will get back to you on this. I am sure there are more hidden treasures. In fact, Stephen and I were saying the same one the other day, laughing that a kid from CA and a girl from UT knew the exact same elementary school saying.... but now I can't think of what it was. :)

Crockett Family said...

Oh, Kelli--You just made me think about warm, sunny recesses at Canyon Crest and playing endless MASH or MARCH (since I never wanted to live in a shack)on my chalkboard in the playroom. We did have a great childhood. I thank you.