Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Lobster Claw




Something bad happened a week ago. I guess it's not as fun to blog about sad things that make you feel guilty as a mom. I guess that's why it took so long to tell you about our little crustacean.

I was making dinner and preheating the oven. Felicity was playing in the other room but crawled into the kitchen. Kurt called to say he was on his way home. Next thing I know Felicity is crying/screaming. I look down and she has her hand shoved in between the under-the-oven drawer and the oven. I hung up the phone, pulled her hand out and called my mom at work to ask her what to do. Hello. I knew what to do but I panicked. Put her hand under cool running water. See how bad it is. Call the doctor. So I did all of those things.

Kurt came home and we took turns helping her to hold her hand under the water (which she did not like). I let her take little breaks and watch the movie CARS which she loved. There were no cartoons on in the evening, seeing that we no longer have cable. We then took her to to the after hours office of our pediatrician. She had three blisters on her index finger and her hand was burned a little bit across her first two knuckles. They cut the dead skin off, gooped her finger with burn cream and wrapped it expertly. She has been really good and happy since then. We have been re-wrapping her finger each night.
Unfortunately we ran out of the red colored wrap (go utes!) and so her lobster claw has since changed to the purple people eater. She is still crawling and playing and grabbing things like a pro. A few more days of the bandage and she'll be on her way. I'm sorry that happened to you little baby. I think you can still be a concert pianist or anything you want. Oh. And she had her first lollipop.

10 comments:

Elizabeth Moon said...

Awww...isn't that the worst when they get hurt? I remember when Atticus was learning to walk and it seemed like he ALWAYS had at least two bruises on his poor forehead.

Courtney said...

When Hank was about 9 months old, he pulled my curling iron down from off the counter and burnt his hand. It wasn't bad enough that he got seriiously hurt, but he learned a big lesson. I seriously think his first word was "hot." It made such an impression on him that he asks whether something is hot before he turns on the facet, touches and appliance, or takes a bite of food. Having that experience early on has probably saved him from a lot of more serious injuries. So--don't feel bad!

shelly said...

That's the WORST feeling as mom, when one of your babies gets hurt!!! My heart goes out to you, Kelli. You're now initiated. I'm so sorry! Does it make you feel any better to know that she won't remember it at all?

darcie said...

okay, so sad. but the girl has some gorgeous hair.

Marissa Joy said...

That is so sad but atleast she's the cutest little lobster. Doesn't it just hurt your heart when they are sick/hurt?!
Get Well Felicity!

Whitney said...

I hate when babies get hurt, but it is a part of life and it makes them that much stronger! She is so cute and i like her hair. I can't wait to see you guys. Get better sebastian.

Brandon, Christie, and Addie said...

Poor Felicity! How sad. I heard she is an adorable lobster/purple people eater! We are excited to see you next week and I am excited to dress the girls in thier matching outfits!!

BrittWilk said...

awww! that is sad! but she looks so cute with a lobster claw!

Rischel said...

it's really sad she burned her hand so you should try a little harder to not make me die laughing OUT LOUD when i read your blog about a baby burn.
"I guess that's why it took so long to tell you about our little crustacean"- oh Kelli - so funny

Kelli Radmall said...

Oh Rischelly-I don't know why you think I'm so funny, but I love making you laugh. It really is a sad story...