Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Stage Mom


Felicity with Grandma Cheryl

It's true-I'm becoming a stage mom, or a pageant mom or whatever you want to call it. I don't think I will put Felicity in tap lessons or fake eyelashes anytime soon, but you never know.

So here's the thing, Felicity recently competed in the Orem City Summer fest Baby contest! With the help of my sister (who sews, I do not) things turned out great! The theme was babies through the ages and I had the idea to make Felicity into some sort of Elizabethan baby. I bought a dress on clearance and my sister sewed all of the fancy lace and ribbons on. I even found a great broach at Savers (where were Jana's cameos when I needed them?). Along with her beautiful dress she wore a tall white cotton ball wig. When I came up with the idea I found out there really are things you can't buy on the Internet! Shocking. Nobody was selling an old timey wig for a 6 month old. So I had to glue cotton balls to one of Felicity's hats. I love my baby in a wig.

So I decided to enter Felicity in the costume category because I figured it was our best shot for a win. I mean, she's adorable but so are a million other kids. She competed with boys and girls ages 0-36 months.-everyone that wore a costume. And... Drum roll please -we-yes we-got third place! At first I was kind of mad because I am very competitive (staying up until three in the morning trying to win at sorry)-and I wanted 1st place of course. But I realized that third is great! Starting her career with a white ribbon win-it'll boost her confidence but won't go to her head. There were about 40 kids in the costume category and the 1st and 2nd place winners were very cute. First place was a little boy in an aviator costume-cute helmet and jacket. Second place was a girl in a poodle skirt outfit.
I'm pretty sure babies through the ages just wore normal baby stuff-some sort of poop catcher-simple gowns, bonnets maybe . But it was a decent theme and made for some good costumes. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Emily said...

Omigosh! How cute is that outfit. Good job at the creativity! And congrats for the win!
So I had the most random memory. I just finished my orthopedic rotation today. Last Friday I scrubbed in on a knee scope and it reminded me of when you got your knee done!Although I'm sure it wasn't fun for you, I remember having fun watching movies with you. Wow, that was SO long ago it seems...

betsy said...

That is so funny Kelli. Felicity is one cute Elizabethan babe! Congrats on the white ribbon, and you're right - a first place win would've totally gone to her head.

Unknown said...

Kelli you are HILARIOUS!!!!! I love this! What a cute costume on one dang cute kid. You are the perfect stage Mom :) I have a million cameos-I would have totally sent you one! The Saver's brooch turned out great though. I can't wait to see you and that cute kid in 2 days!!! Loves.

Poe said...

That is so stinking hilarious and demented. I love your idea WAY more than a poodle skirt and aviater. She so should have taken first. Must have been rigged. Oh well, third is definitely respectable. I am in love with the baby in a wig. Congrats Felicity!