Monday, December 7, 2009

Help! She escaped!

The go utes red cast which came off last Friday

I wrote this post for my special secret blog with my old roomates because they are all awesome gals with good advice about kids and everything else. Then I thought about how much I really want advice on this issue, so I thought I would put it out there. If any of the 5 or 6 people that read my blog have any advice, please share!

Don't get too worried, it's nothing serious.But then again it is. Felicity can get out of her crib! When I tried to put her down for a nap she cried and screamed and after a few minutes I went to check on her and she was at the door trying to get out her room! I tried again later and same thing. I peeked through the door and watched her. She isn't great at getting down, but I don't think she injured herself at all (which is great because today I had to take her to get more x-rays because after getting her cast off she still won't walk on that leg.)
So today we bundled up, went out in a windy freezing snowstorm, hiked to the hospital from the parking lot (I have to carry her everywhere we go because of her leg...) got new x-rays and are waiting to hear from the dr.

I tried getting her to nap with me in my bed, but she was too distracted. Tried the couch. That was a no go. Man, I thought she was grumpy with a new cold and her hurt leg. Now adding in no nap, she is a wreck.

I know she will be a nightmare about staying in a big girl bed. Is it time to suck it up and get one and start training her to sleep in it? If so, how do I do that? Any ideas of how to get her to stay in the crib? Have you ever heard of a crib tent? I know it sounds weird but it is a mesh topper for the crib to keep kids in and pets out. I feel desperate! I don't know what's going to happen tonight. She is so stubborn and strong willed, I'm afraid she will be getting out at all hours! Help!

6 comments:

Heather said...

Oh NOOO!!! Unfortunately I have no advice for you right now, but I can't wait to see what everyone else has to say!

Laurel said...

Oi, that sounds intense. Once we took Isabel out of the crib, we still struggled a bit (and for a little while) with getting her to STAY in bed. We developed a routine and stuck to it, and I think that she eventually just accepted it and is now used to going to sleep when we're all done. I think that the trick is that our "routine" is REALLY specific. We put her in bed, turn on her flower light (on her wall - the kind from Ikea), turn off the bedroom AND hall light, read a story or two, turn off the flower light (the night light remains ON all night), sing her songs, then say good night. Always all those pieces, always in that order. Don't expect magic from the get-go, but stick to it and give it a go for a good month. Good luck, Kelli!

Hillary said...

I think if you think she is ready for a big girl bed, then you could try that. I agree with the second comment that sticking to a routine is the best. And she will put up a fight, but you can't give in. You have to keep telling her that it is time to go to bed, and she needs to stay in her bed. It took Leah about 1 week to get the hang of it and it was a battle of her coming out of her room. But I think she loved her "big girl" bed after that, and I think we got her reward for staying in her bed.

I've also heard that crib tents are helpful. I never needed to try it.

Crockett Family said...

Kells,

You are not alone. Kate is the same way in all her stubbornness. It is exhausting. Have you tried to put your crib mattress flat on the floor? Take it off the hinges and place it inside the crib so it is like a fence. It made it pretty hard for Kate to get out. That worked for us for a while until we transformed her crib into a toddler bed. When we first put her in her big girl bed, she didn't realize she could get out so she didn't. Obviously that is not the case anymore. It is all about not giving in and sticking to your guns. You are good at that Kells :) Love you! Good luck!

betsy said...

I think I'm like a week late on this post - what have you ended up doing?
I recommend putting her onto a mattress or toddler bed. Forget the danger of her climbing out of her crib - that would kill me!

We recently converted Niki to a toddler bed. Her issue was not getting out of her room it was getting up and bringing all her books and toys into her bed and on one occasion a bottle of lotion. She did this just a few times before I threatened to take away all her books. And I did take away her "babies" - 3 little bennie baby animals and 1 plastic teddy bear that she HAS to sleep with. I took them all away and told her every day she is a good girl and stays in the bed she can get one baby back. It totally worked. We have not had a problem since. So its all about threats - stick to them once you make them - and rewards!
Good luck!

Courtney said...

Whether you upgrade to the big girl bed now, or later, its just a matter of time. You can buy a little bit of time with the crib tent, new door knobs, or whatnot--but all good things have to come to an end:) If you're ready for the battle: do it. Thats it. Its not fun, its not easy, there really isn't a great strategy, you just have to do it. Decide ahead of time how you're going to handle it when she breaks rules (whatever your rules are: coming out of her room, etc) and then enforce it consistently every time. Eventually she will give up. Don't worry, its not the end of good sleeping, its just a little bump in the road:)